Logistics & Despatch Manager
The successful candidate will be responsible for relationship management and performance of third-party service providers and freight forwarders relating to the receipt and delivery of goods together with all Despatch activity at the Birmingham facility, relating to the receiving, picking and Despatch operations
- Understanding, developing and maintaining import/export logistics processes on behalf of the business. This includes understanding the nuances of trading into/out of the EU, Incoterms, Transit Procedures, export filing requirements and responsibilities of each party/provider involved.
- Effective relationship management of all third-party service providers and freight forwarders (inbound & outbound) ensuring leading levels of customer service. Scope and agree with third party distribution providers KPIs which deliver continuous cost and service performance improvement.
- Lead the management of HF Ltd Birmingham Despatch operations in all aspects of compliance and in line with Hydraforce company policies, mission and values
- Act as conduit, ensuring needed data flows to correct external parties and internal stakeholder groups.
- Continually develop logistics and Despatch teams whose competencies, skills and qualities are consistent with the companies’ requirements for the future
- Effectively manage all employment matters, including recruitment, development and disciplinary issues within the teams, working with HR where appropriate to address and resolve issues accordingly.
- Monitor and control logistics and transport costs and take remedial action where cost performance issues are identified to ensure achievement of service and cost targets
- Maintain routing guides/shipping instructions for Customer shipments: Customer logistics contacts and special procedures for customer shipping.
- Develop depot and warehousing objectives that are consistent both strategically and operationally with those of the Supply Chain function and the production Business Units
- Set and monitor key performance indicators for the logistics and warehouse operations which deliver continuous improvement. Facilitate and oversee daily tiered meetings to monitor and improve performance.
- Periodically conduct compliance assessments (Audits / Process checks) to create effective controls, ensuring realistic corrective actions are in place for managing internal or external concerns on a timely basis.Ensure Despatch operations adhere to all packing, handling and shipping legislative requirements ensuring standard operating procedures are maintained.
- Maintain shipping velocity, Manage the flow of material, optimize space and continually review practices.
- Deploy and monitor Leaders’ Standard Work to meeting departmental needs and support the management of the team
- Identify and implement process improvements (including ISO requirements) which ensure the logistics and warehouse operations perform effectively and fulfil their role in the supply chain
- Own and maintain shipping generated documents
- Promote quality, Environmental and Health & Safety requirements ensuring all staff adhere to HydraForce procedures and practices
- Contribute to annual budgetary cycle as required.
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
Qualifications & experience
- Level 3 management or supervisory qualification ILM or similar, or qualified by experience
- Significant proven experience in managing a busy and diverse despatch department
- Qualification from the Institute of Export preferable (CIT, ACIT, DIT)
- Previous experience in exporting to Europe, US, SE Asia
- Proven knowledge of export documentation and procedures including finance, distribution, shipping methods and customs procedures
- Experience of lean management and continuous improvement techniques and methodologies
- Proven experience of effectively leading and motivating teams
- Experienced in problem solving using recognised improvement systems, e.g. Kaizen or similar
- Previous knowledge, understanding and use of MRP systems
- Computer literate, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Customer focused, able to build quality related relationships at all levels
- Strong leadership skills, able to act as a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate others and effectively lead teams
- Proven problem-solving skills, able to proactively identify problems, put forward solutions and see through to resolution
- Able to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy, effectively managing conflict through to resolution
- Self-motivated and comfortable working under pressure and to deadlines
- Attention to detail with analytical skills, proactive thinking
- Sound verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate ideas and information in a clear, concise manner to a diverse audience
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
Demonstrate our Values
- INTEGRITY Treats people with courtesy, dignity, respect & fairness.
- INNOVATION Identifies and implements effective processes & procedures for accomplishing work.
- AGILITY Able to react quickly & appropriately when necessary.
- ACCOUNTABILITY Can be relied on consistently.
- RESPECT Demonstrates a high level of professional etiquette
Package commensurate with skills and experience
About the Company
The HydraForce story began in 1985 when the company was founded near Chicago by several partners who saw the mobile equipment industry’s need for quality hydraulic cartridge valves and manifolds delivered in a timely and responsive manner. They also saw the potential for engineering innovation and design flexibility offered by cost effective and space-saving cartridge valves and hydraulic integrated circuits.