To provide technical support to the Production Departments by identifying the operations and improvements required to produce products and developing processes to ensure quality, cost and efficiency requirements are met on a timely basis and in accordance with business needs.
Duties & responsibilities
- To provide full engineering and technical support across the manufacturing facility including all business units, prep, honing, and stores, to ensure that production operating levels are achieved and maintained.
- Manage internal projects within agreed timeframes and to budget, to achieve agreed objectives and meet business needs.
- Produce and maintain relevant internal documentation to company standards, ensuring they are clear, concise and understandable for all users.
- Generate, develop and update Process Control Plans (PCPs), Visual Control Plans (VCPs), Test Control Plans (TCPs), FMEAs and SOP’s.
- Design and develop lean manufacturing cells, through analysis of process needs to include process assembly and test equipment.
- Design and develop assembly and testing fixtures to meet the departmental needs, liaising with external suppliers.
- Identify and lead cost reduction and process efficiency improvement activities, including provision of relevant documentation relating to cost savings and proposed efficiencies.
- Support prototype builds ensuring that all special requirements are met within agreed timescales.
- Conduct NPI activities in accordance with company procedures.
- Identify, justify and implement improvement opportunities.
- Use statistical tools to validate new processes or equipment or changes to existing processes or equipment.
- Specify and purchase facilities to aid production, liaising with relevant internal departments where necessary obtaining best value to meet production needs.
- Conduct time studies on new/existing cells ensuring SMV accuracy.
- Work with your counterpart colleagues at different manufacturing sites to ensure best practice and open and clear communication.
- Coach and support staff where required through knowledge sharing and best engineering practices.
- Work with the Quality Department to improve quality of products and processes and assist with investigations regarding returns field issues and Customer rejects.
- Support production by working closely with Team Leaders to fulfil requests for tooling and providing
assistance where required.
- Liaise with personnel at other manufacturing sites, to control and co-ordinate activities.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description represent the major responsibilities of the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned, as required.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & experience
- HNC/HND or Degree level in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering
- Proven experience of working in a fast paced, manufacturing environment.
- Experienced in managing projects, delivering on time and within budget.
- Working knowledge of CAD systems – Creo & Autocad advantageous
- Working knowledge of hydraulics and/or pneumatics advantageous
- Thorough understanding and experience in application of lean principles, including Kaizen, 5s and Kanban.
- 6 Sigma qualification advantageous
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Computer literate, with sound knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise, define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Familiar with ISO 9001, knowledge of ISO 14001 would be advantageous.
- CAD skills, AutoCAD or Pro-E/Creo experience.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to express ideas, share technical information and communicate at all levels.
- Self-motivated, a quick learner, capable of multi-tasking and comfortable when working under pressure in a limited time span.